At a Glance: Create your own set of Suminigashi notecards with traditional Japanese ink, brushes, and water. Suminigash is an ancient Japanese technique of floating ink on water to make surprisingly beautiful prints. In this private workshop for 1-16 people, you’ll make your own set of Sumi notecards. Suminigashi is an ancient technique of Japanese marbling where black carbon ink is floated on water, then paper floated on top to pick up beautiful and organic designs. It is a mesmerizing and forgiving process. Even subtle air flow around the room can move the ink around on the water. The best part – if you mess up, you can start over with your design. It’s a peaceful, spontaneous and fun way to create really beautiful designs. You’ll take with you your own set of 8 Suminagashi notecards w envelopes + extra pieces for small gift cards or even little pieces of art.
Who is this for? Anyone who wants to make their own Suminagashi stationery, loves organic design and wants a fun, peaceful, and forgiving creative project. This workshop is appropriate for adults ages 15 and up, and children 8 and up accompanied by an adult.
What we’ll do in this workshop:
- learn how to add ink to water to create expected and unexpected organic patterns
- float Suminagashi paper on water to create our prints
- then make more!
- we’ll dry our sheets, hand score and cut down to notecards and use the extras for gift ta
- rice paper
- traditional Suminagashi ink
- water/container to create your own designs
*You are welcome to bring your own paper, but bring extra so you’ll have enough to get your print perfect. You are welcome to bring different kinds of paper to experiment with, but traditional Japanese rice or kozo paper works best because of its long fibers and flexibility when wet.
What to bring? What to wear?
- wear comfortable clothes that you wouldn’t mind getting ink on and comfortable shoes
What will I take home?
- a set of 8 Suminagashi notecards and a few gift cards that you’ve made yourself + kraft envelopes
How long is this class? 1.5 – 2 hours
Policies & Additional Info
Workshops are held (or we’ll meet up) at 1025 Edgewood Avenue NE, Atlanta GA 30307. We’re just across the street from the Inman Park Marta Station.
Cancellations and Refunds
Life happens. We do purchase materials and schedule instructors for every workshop, so we have a policy in place that looks out for all of us.
Private Workshops: for cancellations made
- >15 days in advance, 100% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may schedule another available date within 2 months
- 15-10 days in advance, 50% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may schedule another available date within 2 months.
- < 10 days you may schedule another available date within 2 months but we are not able to issue a refund for cancellations less than 10 days for a private workshop
- If Wonderopa cancels a private workshop, 100% will be refunded to you.
Open Workshops: for cancellations made
- >15 days in advance, 100% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another available workshop within 2 months.
- 15-10 days in advance a 75% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months.
- 3-9 days in advance, 50% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months.
- < 3 days in advance, you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months. We are not able to give refunds for less than 72 hours in advance.
- If Wonderopa cancels a private workshop, 100% will be refunded to you. Wonderopa reserves the right to cancel a workshop for any reason, including low registration.