At a Glance: Create your own herbarium collection, and bring nature indoors in this workshop for 4-16 people. Learn the best methods for pressing and preserving pressed botanicals to make your own herbarium collection ready for framing. Choose from our selection of pressed botanicals or bring your own. You’ll learn archival, museum-quality, and botanist approved methods for mounting pressed botanicals on to paper, preserving herbarium specimens and caring for your pressed botanicals long term.
Who is this for? Nature lovers, budding botanists. If you want to make a pressed botanical herbarium collection for your home or as a gift, this is for you. No prior experience necessary. This workshop is appropriate for adults ages 15 and up, and children 8 and up accompanied by an adult.
What we’ll do in this workshop:
- learn how to press botanicals for the best color and form
- choose pressed botanicals from our collection of leaves and flowers or bring your own favorites to press.*
- plan your collection: we’ll supply paper to make at least 6 small (6×9) botanicals to 3 large pieces (12×26).** Choose all the size or create a collection for a gallery wall.
- hand tear or cut paper to size for your collection
- learn tips and tricks for mounting botanicals to paper with museum quality adhesives
- let your creations dry overnight – plan on picking them up the next day or within the week. Not able to come back? We can ship them to you for $32.
- 100% cotton paper
- brushes, non-toxic museum-quality adhesives, and other supplies
- a collection of pressed and dried botanicals —leaves and flowers
- a variety of templates for hand tearing paper to different sizes
What to bring? What to wear?
- wear comfortable clothes that you wouldn’t mind getting glue on and comfortable shoes
- if you’re the planning type and these will be hung on a wall in your home, measure! We’ll have lots of templates in a variety of sizes and shapes from which you may choose from if you decide to hand tear your paper, or you may cut your sheets down to size.
- if you’d like to bring your own dried pressed botanicals, do! Please see note below if you’d like for us to press your botanicals for you
What will I take home?
- after your pressed botanicals have had time to dry, you’ll take home your own pressed botanicals herbarium collection mounted on paper ready to frame
How long is this class? approx 2 hours
* If you choose the option for us to dry your botanicals for you (from your garden, yard, or favorite flower shop), we will need to schedule an additional time for you to come in to press them at least 2 weeks before your workshop. Check the box to add drying your botanicals and we will contact you to set up a time that works for you.
**You are welcome to bring your own paper. Papers with some (30% or more) tree-free content work best: cotton, rice paper, kozo
Policies & Additional Info
Workshops are held (or we’ll meet up) at 1025 Edgewood Avenue NE, Atlanta GA 30307. We’re just across the street from the Inman Park Marta Station.
Cancellations and Refunds
Life happens. We do purchase materials and schedule instructors for every workshop, so we have a policy in place that looks out for all of us.
Private Workshops: for cancellations made
- >15 days in advance, 100% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may schedule another available date within 2 months
- 15-10 days in advance, 50% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may schedule another available date within 2 months.
- < 10 days you may schedule another available date within 2 months but we are not able to issue a refund for cancellations less than 10 days for a private workshop
- If Wonderopa cancels a private workshop, 100% will be refunded to you.
Open Workshops: for cancellations made
- >15 days in advance, 100% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another available workshop within 2 months.
- 15-10 days in advance a 75% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months.
- 3-9 days in advance, 50% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months.
- < 3 days in advance, you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months. We are not able to give refunds for less than 72 hours in advance.
- If Wonderopa cancels a private workshop, 100% will be refunded to you. Wonderopa reserves the right to cancel a workshop for any reason, including low registration.