Collaborative Painting for Everyone on Your Team
$88.00 per person
Create a one-of-a-kind work of art with an unconventional approach to collaboration. Creative team-building workshop for 6-24 people, no experience needed.
At a Glance: This workshop is inspired by Tunisian Collaborative painting, developed by artist Hechmi Ghachen and brought to American by artist David Black. One painting is created by multiple people and is entirely spontaneous without any planning. The result is an original one-of-a-kind piece that looks as if it’s painted by a single artist. The experience is an interesting one: Introspection with collaboration. Letting go of preconceived ideas, judgment, and attachment to the outcome. Joy in the unexpected. It’s a surprisingly simple and eye-opening way of collaborating.
- There is no planning or discussion of a subject
- One person starts the painting
- Anyone can paint at any time
- Anyone can paint over anyone else’s work
- One person is appointed arbiter to settle any disputes
- If one thinks the painting is finished, they raise their hand and the arbiter takes a vote; a majority can declare a painting finished
- the painting is created in silence (except for music)
“The concept behind Tunisian Collaborative Painting is simple, yet profound. It celebrates the oneness of all human beings and the wonder of the creative process.” —David Black
Who is this for? This workshop is for any group or team that wants to have fun, create a one-of-a-kind piece of art, build relationships and experience subtle shifts in creativity, empowerment, and connection. No skill or specific creativity is required.
What we’ll do in this workshop:
- talk a little about the history of this process
- you’ll choose an arbitrator, and one person to start the piece
- put on some music and paint collaboratively, in silence.
- we’ll take a short break about midway
- when the painting is finished, we’ll take a few minutes to talk about the process
- depending on the number of participants, one or more paintings may be in progress at the same time around the room
Worried you’re not creative? Don’t be. Your random mark may be another’s starting point for the most unexpected masterpiece. The beauty happens with every interpretation and reinterpretation. It becomes a work unlike any other, only made possible by the contribution of each individual. The hardest part (at first) may be the silence. But that’s where the magic happens.
- all materials, paint, & brushes
What to bring? What to wear?
- wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you wouldn’t mind getting paint on
What will I take home?
- Your team’s collaborative painting. Your piece will require a day or two to dry; we can schedule a time to pick it up.
How long is this workshop? 2.5 hours
All photos courtesy of David Black, Tunisian Collaborative Painting in America
Policies & Additional Info
Workshops are held (or we’ll meet up) at 1025 Edgewood Avenue NE, Atlanta GA 30307. We’re just across the street from the Inman Park Marta Station.
Cancellations and Refunds
Life happens. We do purchase materials and schedule instructors for every workshop, so we have a policy in place that looks out for all of us.
Private Workshops: for cancellations made
- >15 days in advance, 100% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may schedule another available date within 2 months
- 15-10 days in advance, 50% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may schedule another available date within 2 months.
- < 10 days you may schedule another available date within 2 months but we are not able to issue a refund for cancellations less than 10 days for a private workshop
- If Wonderopa cancels a private workshop, 100% will be refunded to you.
Open Workshops: for cancellations made
- >15 days in advance, 100% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another available workshop within 2 months.
- 15-10 days in advance a 75% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months.
- 3-9 days in advance, 50% minus a $12 administrative fee will be refunded or you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months.
- < 3 days in advance, you may transfer to another workshop within 2 months. We are not able to give refunds for less than 72 hours in advance.
- If Wonderopa cancels a private workshop, 100% will be refunded to you. Wonderopa reserves the right to cancel a workshop for any reason, including low registration.